DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL (DSP)
Community Living Alternatives is dedicated to our mission of enhancing the quality of life for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The individuals we support succeed with the commitment, dedication, and skill of staff who provide daily assistance, skill building, and support at home or in the community. CLA’s Direct Support Professionals are hired, trained, and retained in a team environment that promotes the intrinsic value of each person, and where supports are delivered with compassion, flexibility and commitment.
The DSP provides direct support and companionship to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a residential home setting and in the community to enable the individuals supported to pursue their life ambitions and goals. Each person supported has a Person Centered Individual Services Plan (PCP-ISP) tailored to his or her needs. The DSP supports the individual to achieve and document the outcomes of the service plan. The areas supported are routine assistance (personal hygiene and wellness, housekeeping of the home, preparing meals, medication administration, etc.); skill building activities in areas such as communication, socialization, appropriate use of leisure time, shopping and money management, use of community resources, safety supports as needed, and supports in other activities of the person’s interest and choice.
- You MUST have an Associate’s Degree in any field, or at least 12 months experience working in a residential program providing direct support services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Clear background and clean driving record is mandatory.
- Support adults with intellectual disabilities in the development and implementation of an individualized service plan that is person centered and enhances their quality of life.
- Instruct and guide residents in completion of daily living tasks; cleaning and household chores, planning and accessing leisure activities; and making healthy choices for health, nutrition and safety.
- Ensure the health and safety of residents, administering medications as needed and transporting to appointments.
- Document individuals’ progress through written progress notes.
- Maintain all records in compliance with Policies, State Licensing, Medicaid, and other pertinent standards.
- Transport the individuals in own vehicle, as necessary.
- Identify and respond to emergencies and crises.
- Participate in support team meetings.
- Report maintenance and repair issues.
- Ensure interior and exterior routine cleaning and maintenance are completed.
- Maintain smoke detectors, evacuation route signs, emergency lights and all other safety equipment required by law; conduct and document regular safety drills.
- Maintain required trainings (see “Required Training” tab)
- Other duties as defined in position description or required by supervisors.
All working hours are based on the needs of the individual supported.
In general, we have:
- Full-time openings (30 or more scheduled hours per week working afternoon, evening or awake overnight).
- Part-time openings (fewer than 30 scheduled hours per week, various shifts including weekends).
- Relief work (no guaranteed number of hours and is on-call for work when regularly scheduled employees cannot report for work for any reason).
The following benefits are available to eligible CLA employees:
- Auto Mileage Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation (403) (b)
- Dental , AD&D, & Life insurance
- Health insurance and Flexible Spending Plan
- Holidays, Vacation, and Sick leave.
Plus: a range of voluntary, employee owned supplemental insurance options.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates with a clean driving record, at least 3 years of driving experience, and a clear background, should e-mail or fax their resume and current driving record (covering the past 5 years or standard reporting period for home jurisdiction) to email@example.com or (703) 352-4906 to the attention of Human Resources.
Employment with CLA is conditional upon completion of all required training within the designated number of days from hire date, and maintaining renewals as required by regulations. (See table below).
To schedule training and for further information, contact the Training Coordinator at 703-352-0388, x221. CLA also participates in the Northern Virginia Training Coalition, which offers many of the required trainings.
CLA is an equal employment opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with CLA depends solely on your qualifications.
|TRAINING REQUIRED||NO. HRS||DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION||RENEWAL||OFFERED AT|
|Medicaid-Waiver Orientation||2||Before first work assignment||None||CLA – Must pass test on first day of employment|
|Orientation (HR, training & Program)||2||Within 15 days of hire date||None||CLA – Office and Program|
|CPR/AED||4||30 days||2 years||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|First Aid||4||30 days||2 years||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Mandt (Crisis Prevention/Intervention)||16||Six months||1 year (6 hrs, if unexpired)||CLA Only|
|Human Rights||2.5||Six months||1 year||CLA, renewal packet (and vajointtraining.org)|
|OSHA||2.5||Six months||1 year||CLA, renewal packet (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Medication Mgmt.||32||Six months||None||Offered at CSB – 4-day training|
|Incident Report Writing||2.5||Six months||None||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Behavior Management||3||Six months||None||Offered at CSB|
|APS (Abuse & Neglect Prevention)||2.5||Six months||None||Offered through vajointtraining.org|
|New Employee Mtg.||4||Six months||None||CLA ONLY|
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS (July 28th 2017)
Candidates should hold an associates degree, or have over 12 months of experience providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities in a residential program.
FULL-TIME – AWAKE OVERNIGHT – FAIRFAX, VA – Sunday from 8:45 p.m. to 9 a.m., Friday from 10:30 p.m. to 9:15 a.m., and Saturday from 8:45 p.m. to 9:15 a.m., for 35.5 hrs./wk.
FULL -TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., for 36 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA–Every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. for 11.75 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 9:15 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. for 11.5 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – ARLINGTON, VA – Every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. for 14 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – ARLINGTON, VA – Every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., for 11 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – ARLINGTON, VA – Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 3:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. for 6.5 hrs./wk. (2 positions open with this schedule)
RELIEF/ON-CALL – FAIRFAX, ARLINGTON, ANNANDALE, SPRINGFIELD & ALEXANDRIA – Relief staff is on-call to cover when regularly scheduled employees cannot report for work for any reason. The maximum number of relief hours that can be worked per bi-weekly pay period allowed is 50. There are no guaranteed hours or benefits associated with this position. We are currently seeking relief candidates available to work daily a.m. and p.m. shifts, weekends, and Awake Overnight.
All direct support positions at CLA require a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record. Employees are required to have his or her privately owned, legally licensed, registered and insured vehicle immediately available while on duty. Candidates must have a clean driving record and a minimum of 3 yrs. driving experience. In addition, employees are required to maintain CPR/First Aid certifications and other trainings as required. Candidates with current industry certifications/trainings are a plus.
Internal candidates may contact HR directly to apply for an open position and must be in compliance with all trainings to be considered. External/referred candidates should e-mail to Human Resources at CLA or fax resume to HR at 703-352-4906, along with an original DMV Record reflecting a minimum of 3 years driving experience, and dated within the past 30 days.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of background investigations. If you are not contacted, your resume will remain on file for 6 months for future consideration. If you do not hear back from us within 6 months, please re-apply.