DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL (DSP)
Community Living Alternatives is dedicated to our mission of enhancing the quality of life for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The individuals we support succeed with the commitment, dedication, and skill of staff who provide daily assistance, skill building, and support at home or in the community. CLA’s Direct Support Professionals are hired, trained, and retained in a team environment that promotes the intrinsic value of each person, and where supports are delivered with compassion, flexibility and commitment.
The DSP provides direct support and companionship to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a residential home setting and in the community to enable the individuals supported to pursue their life ambitions and goals. Each person supported has a Person Centered Individual Services Plan (PCP-ISP) tailored to his or her needs. The DSP supports the individual to achieve and document the outcomes of the service plan. The areas supported are routine assistance (personal hygiene and wellness, housekeeping of the home, preparing meals, medication administration, etc.); skill building activities in areas such as communication, socialization, appropriate use of leisure time, shopping and money management, use of community resources, safety supports as needed, and supports in other activities of the person’s interest and choice.
- You MUST have High School Diploma or Equivalent Required; Associate’s Degree in Human Services or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- Clear background and clean driving record is mandatory.
- Support adults with intellectual disabilities in the development and implementation of an individualized service plan that is person centered and enhances their quality of life.
- Instruct and guide residents in completion of daily living tasks; cleaning and household chores, planning and accessing leisure activities; and making healthy choices for health, nutrition and safety.
- Ensure the health and safety of residents, administering medications as needed and transporting to appointments.
- Document individuals’ progress through written progress notes.
- Maintain all records in compliance with Policies, State Licensing, Medicaid, and other pertinent standards.
- Transport the individuals in own vehicle, as necessary.
- Identify and respond to emergencies and crises.
- Participate in support team meetings.
- Report maintenance and repair issues.
- Ensure interior and exterior routine cleaning and maintenance are completed.
- Maintain smoke detectors, evacuation route signs, emergency lights and all other safety equipment required by law; conduct and document regular safety drills.
- Maintain required trainings (see “Required Training” tab).
- Other duties as defined in position description or required by supervisors.
All working hours are based on the needs of the individual supported.
In general, we have:
- Full-time openings (30 or more scheduled hours per week working afternoon, evening or awake overnight).
- Part-time openings (fewer than 30 scheduled hours per week, various shifts including weekends).
- Relief work (no guaranteed number of hours and is on-call for work when regularly scheduled employees cannot report for work for any reason).
The following benefits are available to eligible CLA employees:
- Auto Mileage Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation (403) (b)
- Dental , AD&D, & Life insurance
- Health insurance and Flexible Spending Plan
- Holidays, Vacation, and Sick leave.
Plus: a range of voluntary, employee owned supplemental insurance options.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates with a clean driving record, at least 3 years of driving experience, and a clear background, should e-mail or fax their resume and current driving record (covering the past 5 years or standard reporting period for home jurisdiction) to email@example.com or (703) 352-4906 to the attention of Human Resources.
Employment with CLA is conditional upon completion of all required training within the designated number of days from hire date, and maintaining renewals as required by regulations. (See table below).
To schedule training and for further information, contact the Training Coordinator at 703-352-0388, x221. CLA also participates in the Northern Virginia Training Coalition, which offers many of the required trainings.
CLA is an equal employment opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with CLA depends solely on your qualifications.
|TRAINING REQUIRED||NO. HRS||DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION||RENEWAL||OFFERED AT|
|Medicaid-Waiver Orientation||2||Before first work assignment||None||CLA – Must pass test on first day of employment|
|Orientation (HR, training & Program)||2||Within 15 days of hire date||None||CLA – Office and Program|
|CPR/AED||4||30 days||2 years||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|First Aid||4||30 days||2 years||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Mandt (Crisis Prevention/Intervention)||16||Six months||1 year (6 hrs, if unexpired)||CLA Only|
|Human Rights||2.5||Six months||1 year||CLA, renewal packet (and vajointtraining.org)|
|OSHA||2.5||Six months||1 year||CLA, renewal packet (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Medication Mgmt.||32||Six months||None||Offered at CSB – 4-day training|
|Incident Report Writing||2.5||Six months||None||CLA (and vajointtraining.org)|
|Behavior Management||3||Six months||None||Offered at CSB|
|APS (Abuse & Neglect Prevention)||2.5||Six months||None||Offered through vajointtraining.org|
|New Employee Mtg.||4||Six months||None||CLA ONLY|
FULL-TIME QIDP – ALEXANDRIA, VA – BA/BS or Masters Degree in a Human Services Field required (Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling, Sociology, Special Education) and a minimum of one year of experience working with adults diagnosed with Intellectual Disabilities/(QIDP) status – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., for 40 hrs./wk. (will need to be flexible with schedule)
FULL-TIME SR: DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS (2 OPENINGS – SPRINGFIELD / FALLS CHURCH & ARLINGTON) – 12 months experience providing services to individuals with Intellectual Disabilities and a High School Diploma required, Associates degree and prior residential experience preferred. Working a flexible schedule, role models and provides hands on training to DSP staff around providing supports. Assists with scheduling and provides shift coverage in the event of staffing shortages or for special events including medical appointments, weather emergencies, or activities. Serves as the senior staff person in the absence of a Home Manager, ensuring the health and safety of all individuals.
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS – High School Diploma or Equivalent Required; Associates Degree in Human Services or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
FULL-TIME – AWAKE OVERNIGHT FLOATER – Sunday through Wednesday –Sunday through Wednesday, and hours will vary (11 p.m. to 9 a.m., 10:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m., and 11 p.m. to 8:30 a.m.) based on the program working for, a total of 40 hrs./wk.
FULL-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 2 to 10 p.m. & Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.., for 36 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., & Monday and Tuesday from 4:30 p.m. to 11:15 p.m., for a total of 25.5 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – SPRINGFIELD, VA – Every other Sunday from 10:45 a.m. to 9 p.m., for 10.25 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Sunday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Monday and Tuesday from 3:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., for a total of 26 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., for 12 hrs./wk.(2 Positions Open w/ this Schedule)
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., for 12 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 9:15 a.m. to 8:45 p.m., for 11.5 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – FAIRFAX, VA – Thursday & Friday from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., for 26 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – ARLINGTON, VA – Every other Saturday and Sunday from 3:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., for 7.5 hrs./wk.
PART-TIME – ARLINGTON, VA – Every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., for 14 hrs./wk.
RELIEF/ON-CALL–FAIRFAX, ARLINGTON, ANNANDALE, SPRINGFIELD & ALEXANDRIA: Relief staff is on-call to cover when regularly scheduled employees cannot report for work for any reason. There are no guaranteed hours or benefits associated with this position. The
maximum number of relief hours that can be worked per bi-weekly pay period allowed is
50. We are currently seeking relief candidates available to work daily a.m. and p.m. shifts,
weekends, and Awake Overnight.
CLA is an equal employment opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making
employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national
origin, citizenship, age or disability. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with
CLA depends solely on your qualifications.